With the Fill it Forward™ app giving water is as easy as drinking water.
To contribute, all you have to do is download the app and scan your
Fill it Forward tag each time you refill your Cupanion.
Each time you scan you will give a cup of clean water to someone in need. These cups help to complete water projects around the world. The more cups you give, the more projects Fill it Forward can complete.
Join the movement
FILL IT FORWARD IMPACT:
CUPS OF CLEAN WATER GIVEN
In partnership with WaterAid, Fill it Forward has helped communities around the world gain access to clean water, hygiene, and sanitation. With all three of these things people can unlock their potential, break free from poverty and change their lives for good.
FILL IT FORWARD PROJECTS
The Clean Water of Schools program in East Africa
Since the beginning of our partnership with WaterAid we have been helping complete the Clean Water for Schools program. Now that the 5 year journey has wrapped up we can proudly say that 170 schools and over 120,000 students across East Africa have access to clean water and sanitation.
Through the engagement and collaboration of community members, senior school staff and government officials we were able to:
- Develop child-friendly hygiene and toilet facilities that respect different physical and mental developmental differences of students at different ages.
- Develop gender-appropriate hygiene and toilet facilities so girls and female teachers can practice effective menstrual hygiene management in safe and private environments.
- Teach students about the importance of hygiene using drama, music, and art.
- Engage children as agents of change, building their confidence and encouraging them to spread the message about good hygiene at home and in their communities.
Communities in Ethiopia, Kenya and Uganda can now enjoy and benefit from healthier school environments where children can learn, thrive and start preparing for their future.
Here is a video tied to the program: https://youtu.be/BmaPNBJvi4A
Mali: Healthy Communities Project
The land locked West African nation of Mali is one of the poorest countries on earth. More than half of its population of 18 million exists in ”extreme” poverty (surviving on less than $1.25 a day).
The lack of economic stability leads to a range of serious and often deadly conditions. One of those issues is the lack of access to safe drinking water and adequate sanitation.
More than 3.7 million children, women and men, particularly those living in rural communities have no choice but to collect dirty water from unsafe and often distance source. Over 4,000 children under the age of 5 needlessly die every year due to a lack of water, sanitation and hygiene.
With Cupanion’s help WaterAid is working to achieve their goal of reaching 59,960 people with better access to clean water and sanitation and another 72,500 people with hygiene education by 2020.
Working in close collaboration with community members, local partner organizations, arts groups and government officials, the Mali: Healthy Communities program will:
- Build and rehabilitate 43 water points at schools, health centers and public spaces.
- Build and rehabilitate 42 toilet blocks in schools, health centers and public spaces. They will be gender segregated and specially designed to meet the needs of people with disabilities.
- Reduce the spread of infectious diseases by providing medical waste incinerators to 4 high-priority healthcare facilities and train healthcare staff on how to use and maintain them.
- Provide hygiene kits to 17 schools and 7 health centers, including hygiene promotion materials, handwashing devices, garbage cans, gloves etc.
- Using a proven participatory methodology called Community-Led Total Sanitation we will encourage thousands of people in 45 villages to build their own household toilets. We will also show them how to do it by equipping 175 of the most vulnerable households with decent toilets.
- Set up 39 local committees and train them on how to operate and maintain the new infrastructure.
- Support 13 groups of women and young people in establishing small water and sanitation-related businesses (e.g. soap making) through micro-credit. This will improve their access to new economic opportunities and decent employment.
Together we can make a difference!
Learn more about the Fill it Forward app here.