WaterAid works in 26 countries worldwide, transforming millions of lives every year with safe water, sanitation and hygiene projects. We work with local partners to help communities access safe water and sanitation. And we use our experience and research to influence decision-makers to do more to provide these vital services. We are guided by 6 principles:
- Integrated:WaterAids’s overseas projects include three vital and inter-related components, which taken together help to maximize health and development benefits. Clean water, basic sanitation and hygiene education are like the ABCs of development—the building blocks towards a better future.
- Inclusive: Inadequate water and sanitation services affect all community members, but not all equally. For example, for women and girls, the disabled and elderly, the consequences can be severe and life-altering. WaterAid places great importance on fully consulting and making space for the meaningful participation of even the most marginalized individuals.
- Practical: WaterAid uses practical, locally-appropriate and cost-effective technologies so to ensure that operational maintenance requirements for the new water supply and sanitation facilities can be easily learned and adopted by local community members.
- Sustainable: All aspects of WaterAid’s projects are designed and implemented with long-term sustainability in mind. This means that upon completion of projects, community members are equipped with all the tools and knowledge required to manage and maintain their new facilities.
- Empowering: WaterAid’s projects emphasize local participation and empowerment. We encourage community members to participate throughout all phases of the project’s implementation – from planning and construction to management and maintenance. We believe in giving a hand up, not a hand out.
- Supportive: WaterAid believes that investing in local human resources lies at the very heart of progressive and sustainable development. We place great importance on providing our local partners with capacity building opportunities so as to strengthen their ability to implement high-quality projects.
For more information about WaterAid or to donate directly please visit wateraidcanada.com
We plant a tree with every custom order. The Carbon Farmer does the digging in a new forest and you get the recognition in a virtual one. Help us grow the Cupanion Forest for all of our forest friends.
To see our forest, please visit www.thecarbonfarmer.ca